Established as a Chapel of Ease to
accommodate an expanding village population, McClellanville Episcopal Church
was begun the summer of 1889 and consecrated by Bishop W. B. W. Howe November
2, 1890. Finishing touches to the chapel, however,
were not added until after 1900.
The land for the church was given by
Charlotte A. Cordes Doar, and Mary Stewart Pinckney
of Fairfield Plantation "furnished the means for building the
chapel." The building committee was comprised of Dr. W. T. W. Baker, A. H.
Lucas, and Col. H. M. Rutledge, with Baker serving as the treasurer. Village
carpenter Paul B. Drayton executed the designs of A. H. Lucas, who served as
architect and supervisor. Assisting Drayton with the constructions were Moses
Stewart, Charlie Williamson, James Bennett, and Julius Brown.
The church framework of South Carolina
longleaf pine and cypress was handcrafted the "old way," mortised and
tenoned together, and the black cypress shingles,
which cover the roof and exterior sidewalls, were shaped with handsaws. The
designs of the interior furnishings were the creations of Lucas, who drew them
on longleaf pine boards for rendering with keyhole
saws. His final touch was the installation of the chandeliers. He died in
church bells were given by David Doar and his brother, Samuel Cordes Doar. The three stained glass windows (from left to
right) are memorials to Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Lucas, Mary Stewart Pinckney, and
Dr. and Mrs. Stephen D. Doar.